Egyptian Geese on field

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Scooter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 06 08:46

Egyptian Geese on field

We have a pair of Egyptian geese roaming around on our small school field, they are rather brazen and very reluctant to leave! We have a small pond next to our field that I assume they are preparing to use for breeding purposes. Do you think I should try and get rid of them before they procreate and become aggressive towards children or just see how it plays out. They haven't attacked anyone....yet!
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 06 08:59

Re: Egyptian Geese on field

How did you know they were Egyptian geese? I guess each must have walked like an Egyptian [Wink.png]
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 06 09:28

Dexter wrote: 6th Feb 2023 at 8:59am How did you know they were Egyptian geese? I guess each must have walked like an Egyptian [Wink.png]
Coz their both Mummy geese...... "ill get my hat and coat boom boom"
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 06 09:33

just realised i didnt actually offer an opinion to your dilemma.

its a tough one as you dont really want to be seen to excluding wildlife etc. you want kids to learn from such an event and enjoy it. What does your HT say on the Matter? is their room for educating the kids about thier potential agressiveness? can you seek some advice from the RSPBA (the bird one- have i got that right?)

Were quite rural and are quite open about encouraging the kids to interact and respect nature and the animals that come with it. I suppose if theres the slightest inkling that they are territorial and aggressive you have to move them on
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Feb 2023 06 10:17

I'd like to see them. Any chance you can grab a photo?

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Scooter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 06 12:03

IMG_5633 (2).PNG
Not a great shot of them but they were looking angry and approaching me! I had to back off into year 5 sharpish!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 06 12:57

Gazza wrote: 6th Feb 2023 at 9:28am Coz their both Mummy geese...... "ill get my hat and coat boom boom"
Ooo, don't say that - there's a move to not have Mummies called Mummies any more!
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Feb 2023 06 14:26

Scooter wrote: 6th Feb 2023 at 12:03pm
Not a great shot of them but they were looking angry and approaching me! I had to back off into year 5 sharpish!
That's nice, thanks. I'm sure they are more frightened of you than you of them. Stop being such a chicken hehehehe [Big grin.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
grumpy1
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 06 15:33

On a farm local to where i live there are a breeding pair of Egyptian geese, they have had a pair of goslings for about a month now. I would say if your geese don't have any goslings then they either lost the nest or there is not enough ground cover around your pond for them to nest safely. It maybe that they will hang around because of the pond. Having said that, the geese on the farm spend most of their days walking the fields.
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 06 15:41

They make brilliant guard dogs, they are very territorial and noisy! personally they don`t bother me in the slightest, what are they going to do peck me to death [Big grin.png]
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch