Freezing

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Derek N
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 18 18:46

Freezing

Hi All
So with the big freeze last week did anyone have any issues?
I was fine all week until Friday 😩 had a early finished planned to take some time back and about 4:15 I started hearing ringing at first I thought it was just my hearing with being full of a cold. But I went outside to check and it was my Sprinkler system. It’s never been connected to my fire alarm panel inside of the school. Ran over there to find water coming out of the overflow and out of two parts of piping. Managed to turn the bell off and to stop the water only for it to come out of the pipes even more. Called for and emergency call out as you can tell they was busy with other systems 2 and a half hours later he arrived to isolate the system and he also found another leak in one of the Pumps.
Going to be an expensive job getting these repaired I’m hoping the insurance will cover.
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 18 19:35

Re: Freezing

We had an outside pipe installed when we had our old cabins demolished/relocated/rebuilt. Rather than digging up half the playground to take the pipe back to the nearest join, they put an outside tap in.

Friday before last went into the playground to find a spray/fountain of water coming from it - had split near the bottom!!

Only other issue is the snow (it was a literal 6" at least in most places), pretty much put our area to a standstill last Sunday evening/Monday. Still have mountains of the stuff now.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 19 08:22

Frozen water feed pipe to the nursery 4 days last week its been run down an outside wall and although lagged it didn't stand a chance.
Then on Saturday morning there was a leak from the roofers temporary portacabins that a passer by noticed and called security.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Rockstar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 19 09:20

I dont know if it was because it was so cold, but I found it difficult to heat our Nursery last week. It has underfloor heating and was struggling to get warm no matter how early I put it on. I ended up leaving it on manual all weekend. When I came in this morning it was like getting off the plane in Tenerife! Mind you it is 20 degrees warmer outside than last Weds!
You see, Rock and Roll isn't a career or hobby - it's a life force. It's something very essential. - The Edge.
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 19 09:21

Closed our nursery on Friday due to frozen pipes.
Luckily we werer on half day so didnt cause many issues.

just checked again this morning, all seems to be in order.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
Sgtspite1968
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 20 09:26

Biggest issue for us was "ICE" we have an inclined driveway which is a nightmare when icy, so had to close this to traffic and spend three days trying to clear it, this also affected paths and playgrounds which were pretty much ice rinks with the salt/grit being ineffective at though temps.

We also had a few burst and frozen pipes, one of which was an outside tap which although was isolated and lagged burst on the inside behind a plasterboard partition. (The clever plumber had used an ABS plastic joiner on a copper pipe!)

We also lost water to one building when Mr Fox had eaten the pipe lagging to a section of pipe on the outside of the building causing it to freeze!

Could have been a lot worse though i suppose? --- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_huh]
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 20 10:35

Only ever had two water issues at the school i worked before retirement and both back in 2010, that was a bad year for snow and ice and schools having to close. I had a a tap in the garage leaking and a leak in the main outside water pipe, both flowing into the car park so damage inside school and i turned off the garage supply ipe but not a lot i could do with the outside mins water supply leak so called that one in for repair which ment digging up the car park so it was handy the school was shut due to bad weather. [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_grin]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 20 20:07

We had a pipe going down the wall to the outside tap for early years that burst the weekend before last. Luckily the neighbours let me know shortly after it started, and the pipe split was below the isolation valve otherwise it would have been more tricky. The lagging doesn't appear to have helped much! Other than that we seemed to get off fairly lightly.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams [Like.png]

"If at first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you." Steven Wright [Thumb_up.png]
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 20 20:49

Handyman wrote: 20th Dec 2022 at 8:07pm We had a pipe going down the wall to the outside tap for early years that burst the weekend before last. Luckily the neighbours let me know shortly after it started, and the pipe split was below the isolation valve otherwise it would have been more tricky. The lagging doesn't appear to have helped much! Other than that we seemed to get off fairly lightly.
Yeah ours was lagged, trouble is at times it was hitting -10/11 at night/early hours so was pretty useless to be fair.

What I'm going to do with mine after --- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) --- is completely box it in, stuff it full of insulation and cover it as well.

Don't know whether it will make any difference mind!! [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_cheesy]
Derek N
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 20 21:41

Sounds like most of us have had issues with the weather.
I was talking with the Manager of the company that’s services our Sprinkler system and he said the engineer that came to mine had 40 call outs that one night all with the same issues. Over the week they had more call out than they have all year.

I had my HT keep asking when it’s being fixed doesn’t seem to understand where not the only place that’s had the issue and parts need to be ordered. Engineers have booked time off for the holidays so won’t be done until the new year.

Hope you’re all having a well earned rest for the holidays and are taking the full two weeks off. My last day is tomorrow (Wednesday) the kids finish at dinner time then were getting cleaned up and locked up.

Merry --- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) --- everyone.