Conundrum

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

seedfut06
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 15 12:28

Conundrum

Hi all. Well, my daughter, who is at a University agricultural college, today couldn't make exams (she is unsteady as she damaged a knee) as the site management decided it was too cold/icy for the gritting team to go out and would be at risk of slipping.....
I will let everyone ponder this.
Have a good one.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 15 12:52

Re: Conundrum

Ha, ha another bit of health and safety gone mad, we are becoming a country of sissies and our ancestors would turn in their graves at us now. [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_angry]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
TheTakerofCare
Dec 2022 15 13:45

EBJ wrote: 15th Dec 2022 at 12:52pm Ha, ha another bit of health and safety gone mad, we are becoming a country of sissies and our ancestors would turn in their graves at us now. [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_angry]
Have you stopped to think, these would be the people who thought the situation was ok to do whatever in the circumstances, these will be the very people people "turning" in their graves now because people didn't have laws etc to protect them. So basically lambs to the slaughter, worth looking at ROD in the archives, fascinating how many died in situations like this.

You have no idea of the reason why this was done or what college, but we are all going soft because we learnt from the past.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2022 15 13:53

seedfut06 wrote: 15th Dec 2022 at 12:28pm Hi all. Well, my daughter, who is at a University agricultural college, today couldn't make exams (she is unsteady as she damaged a knee) as the site management decided it was too cold/icy for the gritting team to go out and would be at risk of slipping.....
I will let everyone ponder this.
Have a good one.
Surely the exams shouldn't have taken place and the uni should have closed. If it is too dangerous for the site team to grit, then surely it is too dangerous to expect students to tackle the journey in.

I hope your daughter recovers quickly and is able to retake her exam soon.

PS: If it is an agricultural college, don't they have any agricultural machinery like tractors or 4x4 vehicles they could use?

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dec 2022 15 19:07

I feel good for them, I think. I’m a bit unsure as I always just got on with it.

But today I would normally change batteries in the local speed sensors, that was cancelled due to the weather.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 16 01:20

I'm confused.
If it was done in the past, and many, many moons ago. Most of them survived (hence that is why we are here).
So, what's the problem? They learned how to deal with it.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
TheTakerofCare
Dec 2022 16 07:14

trout39843 wrote: 16th Dec 2022 at 1:20am I'm confused.
If it was done in the past, and many, many moons ago. Most of them survived (hence that is why we are here).
So, what's the problem? They learned how to deal with it.
A great argument, the counter would be, this is why we don't still have kids as young as 3 up chimneys. We are better for it.

Most survived, might want to look at The English Archives, its quite amazing how so many actually did.
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 16 07:18

There was once a social media post relating as to why the school was shut due to the weather and as to why the roads and paths leading to the school were unsafe. It eluded to the fact that the caretaker should make the whole area safe. At the time they really pressed a button and I replied who was going to come and help me get out my house/road/route to be even thinking of who others made it to the school. I am limited to me, and would always ensure a safe route into the school building from the front gate (little known to them I will also grit the road and path approximately 50m up the slope leading into the school- I don't want cars skidding into our gates). It was great to see comments supporting the fact that there are limits to what we can achieve.
I would assume if exams are cancelled due to weather there is a contingency plan for a retake?? they just implement this.
I assume they have visited their RA on access and egress and the gritting one to see if appropriate control measures are effective?
That's all from me folks, now to go and spread a little..................grit [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_snowball] [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_snowball]
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 16 08:05

thecaretaker wrote: 15th Dec 2022 at 1:53pm Surely the exams shouldn't have taken place and the uni should have closed. If it is too dangerous for the site team to grit, then surely it is too dangerous to expect students to tackle the journey in.

I hope your daughter recovers quickly and is able to retake her exam soon.

PS: If it is an agricultural college, don't they have any agricultural machinery like tractors or 4x4 vehicles they could use?
this is a great point, wheres the consistency in the decision making? things must have been really bad if your front line defence couldnt venture out to do there job- in turn making it even more dangerous for the rest????
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 16 08:07

H&S has moved on and developed but Seedfut06's daughter's experience shows it is not perfect:

Surfaces had not been treated as it was deemed too risky for the site team to act yet students, with less appropriate footwear and not able to grit their own routes, were allowed on the site.

The likelihood of an accident would have increased as I imagine that students assumed that the campus had been gritted, and as safe as reasonably expected, as it was open to students.

A risk assessment on the opening of the uni should have included the fact that the site team had not treated surfaces. There seems to be a failure in their processes.