Secondary schools - science sink traps

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 14 13:12

Secondary schools - science sink traps

Hi,

Does anyone have a risk assessment for science lab sink traps I could take a look at please?

Thanks!
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 14 13:32

Re: Secondary schools - science sink traps

Hi
A couple of replies have been deleted per the problem with the forum
There shouldn't be any chemicals in a sink trap in the science rooms, maybe ask science dept for their risk assessment?
I recently cleaned out a couple of traps in the science block and it was the usual pens, paper etc.
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 14 15:37

Nigel wrote: โ†‘14th Dec 2022 at 1:32pm Hi
A couple of replies have been deleted per the problem with the forum
There shouldn't be any chemicals in a sink trap in the science rooms, maybe ask science dept for their risk assessment?
I recently cleaned out a couple of traps in the science block and it was the usual pens, paper etc.
There could be though, hence the desire for a RA. Some chemicals will be disposed of down the sink. Some other items could end up in the sink that would react.

I'm working alongside the science dept to decide an appropriate RA. Do you have a copy of your science dept RA you could share at all please?
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 14 16:10

Sorry I don`t have a copy, recently they disposed of some chemicals that they could but they went through the fume cupboard in the approved manner. understand what you mean, chemicals down the sink are a no no and as we have our own sewage plant and outlet into ditch we have to be careful what we dispose of!
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 14 16:45

Your science staff should have RAs for every experiment under COSHH regs and be following them to assure that no chemicals go down the drain. Usually most chemicals are diluted for student use anyway but check with your staff and technicians to make sure that all procedures are being followed and if they aren't then you should sort out an RA but with the assistance of the staff and technicians to make sure nothing is missed. All science RAs along with all other RAs should be reviewed annually or after any incident
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 14 17:00

magpie wrote: โ†‘14th Dec 2022 at 4:45pm Your science staff should have RAs for every experiment under COSHH regs and be following them to assure that no chemicals go down the drain. Usually most chemicals are diluted for student use anyway but check with your staff and technicians to make sure that all procedures are being followed and if they aren't then you should sort out an RA but with the assistance of the staff and technicians to make sure nothing is missed. All science RAs along with all other RAs should be reviewed annually or after any incident
Sorry, I don't get your point. Do you have a RA to share?
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 14 21:20

All I was doing was trying to explain what i think is the thing you should do and questions you should ask of the staff, that is how i did it. I am retired now so only have an RA for staying under the duvet in these cold mornings ๐Ÿ˜‚
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 15 07:20

magpie wrote: โ†‘14th Dec 2022 at 9:20pm All I was doing was trying to explain what i think is the thing you should do and questions you should ask of the staff, that is how i did it. I am retired now so only have an RA for staying under the duvet in these cold mornings ๐Ÿ˜‚
Ok.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 15 07:25

Nigel wrote: โ†‘14th Dec 2022 at 4:10pm Sorry I don`t have a copy, recently they disposed of some chemicals that they could but they went through the fume cupboard in the approved manner. understand what you mean, chemicals down the sink are a no no and as we have our own sewage plant and outlet into ditch we have to be careful what we dispose of!
I do find it interesting that you think chemicals shouldn't be poured down the drain when official guidance has some as to be disposed down the sink, direct from CLEAPSS.

Might be something you should look into as to the correct way to be emptying out - what PPE, overseen by a suitably trained technician or teacher (have a chat with CLEAPSS about it!)
GARRY E
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 15 09:56

When i was at a secondary we were asked about cleaning these out and i refused due to not knowing what might be harmful to me or my assistant so the lab technician had to do it ,didn't hang around to see how he did it so cant tell you any more
HTH
Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

"Do you have to use a pencil please Miss Worswick"(Mike Harding)