UK 3 pin plug socket protector cover

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2023 17 07:56

Re: UK 3 pin plug socket protector cover

That is so uncanny.

I have just done my monthly check of all the electrical sockets only to find a 3 pin insert in place down in early years which I have removed. I was going to post myself only to find the post already there (Twilight Zone).

We had guidance from our council sometime ago about not using them.

If you think about how an electrical socket works it is the insertion of the longer earth prong that lifts the trap on the live and neutral. Therefore with nothing in place pens and pencils cant be inserted. However, if there is a 3 pin socket cover inserted although its plastic it becomes live and any soaking wet hands has the potential to track to the live feed and then hey presto little Johnny is on his way to A&E.

So, get confirmation from your local authority in writing and don't use them is my advice.
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2023 17 10:02

Have an electrician disconnect the wiring and secure it in a safe manner according to the regulations and take the socket front cover off and replace with a blank front cover, never use 3 pin so called safety sockets. [Shock.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2023 17 10:12

PLEASE DONT USE-

sockets have the feature built in and have been tested to BS standards- those pound shop plastic protectors have had no stringent safety test and carry no BS markings-
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2023 17 15:38

We had this problem in our early years centre, someone had brought in packs of them from the £1 shop and thought it was a good idea. I explained that they were unsafe and to remove them but they would not take my word for it. Luckilly we had a H&S audit at the same time so I asked him to have a word with them which he did...
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.