Secondary schools - science sink traps

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

grimoopnorth
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 15 12:38

Re: Secondary schools - science sink traps

Hi I will try again with my reply as it seems to have gone!. With a RA you have to assess the hazard and the consequence. You need to find out what chemicals they are throwing down the sinks. If they are nasty/dangerous then you need to ask why and do they have permission from your water company as disposing of hazzardous waste down the drains is probably not legal.I would suggest running the cold water tap for a few mins just so any non hazzardous residue is diluted and washed away. I would class emptying sink traps as very low risk and not needing a RA. You would only need to log the task in your RA log book and make sure any caretaker/maintenace person knows that they have to run the tap. If they are pouring dangerous chemicals/waste down the sink then you need to discuss it with your line manager and get advice from the LA h&s .
TheTakerofCare
Dec 2022 15 13:50

Nail wrote: 14th Dec 2022 at 1:12pm Hi,

Does anyone have a risk assessment for science lab sink traps I could take a look at please?

Thanks!
*inserts story about lab* *inserts witty pithy observation*

Asks what is An RA.

Btw, answering your actual question I'm guessing you have had all no's' so far, ammirite?
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 15 14:03

TheTakerofCare wrote: 15th Dec 2022 at 1:50pm *inserts story about lab* *inserts witty pithy observation*

Asks what is An RA.

Btw, answering your actual question I'm guessing you have had all no's' so far, ammirite?
No, I've not had it answered.