Stop Oil Protesters

Chat about Cars, Public Transport, Trams, Railways, Bikes, Air Travel, Travel Services...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 05 13:43

Stop Oil Protesters

Apparently the Stop Oil Protesters cost the Met Police £7.5 million in just nine weeks of the protesters actions through out London, that is £7.5 million of mine and your tax money we paid in taxes. Add that to the other factors where business's lost money re late deliveries or not being able to deliver and all the other inconvenience they caused right down to the poor guy loosing money as he was late for work and the sum is going to be staggering. [Angry.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
TheTakerofCare
Feb 2023 05 15:53

Re: Stop Oil Protesters

EBJ wrote: 5th Feb 2023 at 1:43pm Apparently the Stop Oil Protesters cost the Met Police £7.5 million in just nine weeks of the protesters actions through out London, that is £7.5 million of mine and your tax money we paid in taxes. Add that to the other factors where business's lost money re late deliveries or not being able to deliver and all the other inconvenience they caused right down to the poor guy loosing money as he was late for work and the sum is going to be staggering. [Angry.png]
But no where near as staggering the cost to the planet and our future generations if we don’t do something as soon as possible.

Might be a bit lame, but profit over people isn’t actually a good thing.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 05 17:09

I am not sure that it is your money EBJ. I doubt that you pay the Police precept for the Met where you live. My dispute with the Stop Oil people [ and whatever happened to the Insulate Britain protesters?] is that they alienate support for their cause. Their activities are such that people will talk about the protests rather than the issue about which they are protesting. Finding an appropriate means of protest, therefore, is easier said than done.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Feb 2023 05 17:51

Maybe this is a more acceptable way of protesting...

https://insideevs.com/news/633130/bmw-t ... i-climate/

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
TheTakerofCare
Feb 2023 05 17:58

Drone wrote: 5th Feb 2023 at 5:09pm I am not sure that it is your money EBJ. I doubt that you pay the Police precept for the Met where you live. My dispute with the Stop Oil people [ and whatever happened to the Insulate Britain protesters?] is that they alienate support for their cause. Their activities are such that people will talk about the protests rather than the issue about which they are protesting. Finding an appropriate means of protest, therefore, is easier said than done.
He’s right, Met is funded by central government.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 05 19:07

What about the money that will be spent on security and just the cost of the upcoming Coronation. Why can't they just take the crown over to him and say here put this on and you become King. We can all complain about what things cost, as it happens I think that the Coronation will be a terrible waste of public money regardless of the arguments about the tourism it might create
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 06 05:10

TheTakerofCare wrote: 5th Feb 2023 at 3:53pm But no where near as staggering the cost to the planet and our future generations if we don’t do something as soon as possible.

Might be a bit lame, but profit over people isn’t actually a good thing.
Cool! So let's all get into the "No Oil" thing and go green! Let's use solar panels, no, wait. They use plastics which are made from oil. [Shock.png]
Or let's use wind turbines, Wait again, they use blades that are made from non-recycleable fiberglass. [Shock.png]
So, what is your answer? [Confused.png]
I'm open to suggestions.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
TheTakerofCare
Feb 2023 06 06:08

trout39843 wrote: 6th Feb 2023 at 5:10am Cool! So let's all get into the "No Oil" thing and go green! Let's use solar panels, no, wait. They use plastics which are made from oil. [Shock.png]
Or let's use wind turbines, Wait again, they use blades that are made from non-recycleable fiberglass. [Shock.png]
So, what is your answer? [Confused.png]
I'm open to suggestions.
Good god! The Daily Mail/ Fox News argument.

Yes we are aware that all those things and more use plastic etc etc etc etc etc etc etc, all made from oil etc etc etc etc etc derivatives. Gosh you got them with that argument everyone on just stop oil go home you look silly now, just like the Vegan wearing leather shoes gotchas all around everyone

Hold it but wait, I spent 1 minute doing actual research, not my mates on Facebook, it seems they want all new oil licenses suspended, clue is in the new, plus a way to insulate Britain.

If you spent 5 minutes reading you might see what they propose, ending reliance on oil now never was, it is a long term strategy, JSO are trying now to stop over reliance on oil now with a view to carbon neutral in the future, these things take time, and yes until we find a way to make all your gotcha things without oil it is a long road.

Do better.
ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2023 06 07:48

TheTakerofCare wrote: 6th Feb 2023 at 6:08am Good god! The Daily Mail/ Fox News argument.

Yes we are aware that all those things and more use plastic etc etc etc etc etc etc etc, all made from oil etc etc etc etc etc derivatives. Gosh you got them with that argument everyone on just stop oil go home you look silly now, just like the Vegan wearing leather shoes gotchas all around everyone

Hold it but wait, I spent 1 minute doing actual research, not my mates on Facebook, it seems they want all new oil licenses suspended, clue is in the new, plus a way to insulate Britain.

If you spent 5 minutes reading you might see what they propose, ending reliance on oil now never was, it is a long term strategy, JSO are trying now to stop over reliance on oil now with a view to carbon neutral in the future, these things take time, and yes until we find a way to make all your gotcha things without oil it is a long road.

Do better.
Those are not gotcha questions. They are legitimate concerns posted in a friendly, reasonable, non-patronising way. Something that seems to be beyond your capabilities. Perhaps you should *do better* with your replies.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a pee each day.
TheTakerofCare
Feb 2023 06 08:01

ElGuapo wrote: 6th Feb 2023 at 7:48am Those are not gotcha questions. They are legitimate concerns posted in a friendly, reasonable, non-patronising way. Something that seems to be beyond your capabilities. Perhaps you should *do better* with your replies.
Nope they are gotchas, hence the shocking JIF.

Legitimate concern would be actual research, not what people have posted in about 100m memes on the internet. JSO have a website, reading it would help.

But I promise to do better.