Strike!

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2023 16 19:24

Strike!

Just seen that the NEU has voted to strike in England and Wales as there was an overall 90% vote in favour of this - and unlike the recent NASUWT and NAHT votes - they had a sufficiently high turnout to meet the legal threshold. Apparently this will start with a mass walkout of teachers on Feb 1 and carry on from there, affecting 23,400 schools.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams [Like.png]

"If at first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you." Steven Wright [Thumb_up.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2023 17 07:31

Re: Strike!

well thats a few less to deal with..
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2023 17 07:31

Just an odd comment- why such a low turn out on all the ballots but an extremely high percentage voting one way? is it because of post etc (they blamed this for the HT one), or is it a case of abstaining thus "voting" against????
TheTakerofCare
Jan 2023 17 07:53

twiglets wrote: 17th Jan 2023 at 7:31am Just an odd comment- why such a low turn out on all the ballots but an extremely high percentage voting one way? is it because of post etc (they blamed this for the HT one), or is it a case of abstaining thus "voting" against????
Easy answer,

As in all PS ballots overs the years, about 25% of the members bother to vote, but out of that 25% all usually vote to strike. Its all down to apathy of members, most join unions for legal cover, but when their fellow union members and the union itself come 'A' callin, they are either deaf or just plainly don't care.
Been this way for years, that's why the minimum threshold law was bought in, they knew that most union members have absolutely no intention of stepping up to the plate when needed, but as soon as they need help they will be first ones on the phone.