TMVs and water temperatures

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Fw18
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 01 22:23

TMVs and water temperatures

Hi all,
When taking the water temperatures at various taps around school how do you take the incoming temperatures if a TMV is fitted? Should I have sample points before the TMV?

Thanks.
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 02 03:23

Re: TMVs and water temperatures

I took it from the tap, incoming hot water line and cold water line. all recorded seperately.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 02 08:02

Fw18 wrote: 1st Dec 2022 at 10:23pm Hi all,
When taking the water temperatures at various taps around school how do you take the incoming temperatures if a TMV is fitted? Should I have sample points before the TMV?

Thanks.
Incoming temps are taken at taps with no TMV on the same hot water system as the others it is safe to assume that the water temperature is the same throughout the system.
Only if your TMV temps seem out is it necessary to measure temps further.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 02 08:17

Fw18 wrote: 1st Dec 2022 at 10:23pm Hi all,

Thanks.
I use a surface probe on the pipework.
this, of course, can be slightly different from the water temp though not enough to make a discernable difference.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
rob
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 02 08:46

hi, use a surface thermometer on the incoming pipes as you are running the tap you might have to clean off any paint that they have on them, so you have access to the copper pipes hope this helps.
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 02 08:52

couple of options, dont think matters which you choose

- Temperature guage/probe on hot pipework leading to the tmv
- Have a testing point on the pipework prior to tmv (expensivley pointless but an option nonetheless)
- Test an alternative tap that doesnt have a TMV fitted (Has to be roughly same distance from the feed)
- Take fitting apart for testing (not reccomended- but could tie in with tmv maintenance)
- Isolate cold feed leading into the TMV prior to testing
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 02 09:25

Gazza wrote: 2nd Dec 2022 at 8:52am couple of options, dont think matters which you choose

- Temperature guage/probe on hot pipework leading to the tmv
- Have a testing point on the pipework prior to tmv (expensivley pointless but an option nonetheless)
- Test an alternative tap that doesnt have a TMV fitted (Has to be roughly same distance from the feed)
- Take fitting apart for testing (not reccomended- but could tie in with tmv maintenance)
- Isolate cold feed leading into the TMV prior to testing
With a closed loop hot water system, the temperature should be similar regardless of distance.
one non TMV tap near the boiler room and one at the furthest point will tell you the static hot water temp supplied by the system.
also isolating the cold water to a TMV will (or should unless it has failed) result in the TMV shutting of all water to the outlet.
If you want to check at each TMV then as has been said a surface probe is the best option, just record the type of probe used.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 02 10:45

Yep, surface probe.

Personally I previoulsy found the handheld units to be a pain to get to read correctly so where it was a number of pipes that had to be recorded like that I just bought clip on probes for each area that could be left in place. A bit of an investment at the time but makes any recording later much quicker.
outdoorman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 12 17:19

I take a reading off the pipe and I also take a reading from the first tap which is in the kitchen that does not have a TMV this gives me a guide as to the loss of heat from the start to the end of a run