Surface Water Charges

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 08 17:13

Surface Water Charges

Hi all,

Our BM had a call from a from a "Water Management Company". He said we are being overcharged for our surface water drainage because we have a small stream running through our grounds and most of the surface water drains into that. However, we are still getting charged full wack by the water company for drainage of surface water. He said he could claim back what we are owed and it would be back dated several years too. Then his fee would be half of what we win back. My boss said he seemed to know our site very well and had done his homework by the sounds of it.

Any one had any experience with this type of thing? How did you get on?
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a pee each day.
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 08 17:22

Re: Surface Water Charges

At my previous school the water rate for my bungalow included surface water but this went into the school drains so I managed to get that charge removed and got a refund, it was 18 years ago and I can`t remember the details but I did it myself, I`m sure you can without having to give away any of the rebate!

"Applying for a surface water drainage rebate

This means that you usually need to make an application for a rebate. You should apply to your company providing evidence that none of your surface water enters the public sewer. Your company should explain the kind of evidence that it would need to see"
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 08 17:30

It may be worth checking with OFWAT (the Water Industry regulator) to see of there is an onus on the Water Co to check the facts surrounding what the third party asserts. This may save you a fee.

Even if the answer is no, (if it's no win, no fee) 50% of a refund (you would have never claimed) and 100% of all future savings (you would have never made) is worth a punt IMO.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2022 09 03:52

You do not need to use a third party to apply for a rebate, you can apply directly to your water company. Surface water run off isn't charged per litre, but the charge is most likely dependant upon the size of the building from a survey made by your water company at some point. Have a read of this page:

OFWAT - Reducing your surface water drainage charges

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 09 17:06

Thank you for the replies. Very helpful.
The BM and I are going to try and claim the rebate ourselves. That link was very helpful, thank you.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a pee each day.